Context: The UN Security Council has approved International Intervention in the form of a foreign security mission led by Kenya to restore security, protect critical infrastructure and control the spiralling Gang war in the country.
About the UN Security Council
The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) is one of the six principal organs of the United Nations.
It is charged with:
- Ensuring international peace and security,
- Recommending the admission of new UN members to the General Assembly,
- Approving any changes to the UN Charter.
Its powers as outlined in the United Nations Charter include:
- establishing peacekeeping operations,
- enacting international sanctions,
- authorizing military action.
The UNSC is the only UN body with the authority to issue binding resolutions on member states.
UNSC Member: – 5 Permanent members (P5)-USA, CHINA, RUSSIA, UK, France.
10 non-permanent members elected by the UN General Assembly for a 2-year term.
- Haiti is a country in the Caribbean Sea that includes the western third of the island of Hispaniola and such smaller islands. The capital is Port-au-Prince.
- Recently, a Group of Gangs called “G9 and family” seized control of the entry of the main fuel port Varreux in the capital protesting the PM’s decision to cut fuel subsidies.