Context: Egypt is wary of insecurity near the border with Gaza in Northeastern Senai, where it faced an Islamist insurgency that peaked after 2013, after that it is largely regulated allowing aid to enter and medical evacuees to leave but preventing any large scale movement.
About Rafah border crossing
- It is crossing between the Gaza Strip and Egypt and is the sole route for aid to enter Gaza directly outside Israel.
- It is only exit that does not lead to Israeli territory.
- The crossing is at the south of the Gaza Strip and wedged between Israel, Egypt and the Mediterranean Sea.
Previous year Question 2016
The area known as ‘Golan Heights’ sometimes appears in the news in the context of the events related to
A Central Asia
B Middle East
C South-East Asia
D Central Africa
Previous Year Question-2015
Which one of the following countries of South-West Asia does not open out to the Mediterranean Sea?
The area known as Rafah border sometimes appears in the news , with reference to this, consider the following statement.
- It is the only route for aid to enter Gaza strip.
- It is outside the Israel territory.
- It is controlled by Hamas group.
How many of the above statements are correct?
(A) only one
(B) only two
(C) All three
Statement 1 and 2 is correct-It is crossing between the Gaza Strip and Egypt and is the sole route for aid to enter Gaza directly outside Israel.
Statement 3 is incorrect-It is controlled by Egypt.