Context: The recent Global Terrorism Index states that ideologically motivated terrorism continues to be the most common type of terrorism in the West.
About Global Terrorism Index
- The Global Terrorism Index (GTI) is a comprehensive study analysing the impact of terrorism for 163 countries.
- It is released by the Institute for Economics & Peace (IEP).
- GTI is a composite measure made up of four indicators: incidents, fatalities, injuries and hostages; weighted over a five-year period.
- It does not include acts of state repression and violence by state actors.
- The Sahel is home to the world’s fastest growing and most-deadly terrorist groups.
- Afghanistan remained the country most impacted by terrorism for the fourth consecutive year.
- India’s rank: 13