The Union Cabinet has approved Centrally Sponsored Scheme- “Vibrant Villages Programme” (VVP) for the Financial Years 2022-23 to 2025-26.
About Vibrant Villages Programme:
- Comprehensive development of villages of blocks on northern border thus improving the quality of life of people living in identified border villages. This will help in encouraging people to stay in their native locations in border areas and reversing the outmigration from these villages adding to improved security of the border.
- The scheme will provide funds for development of essential infrastructure and creation of livelihood opportunities in 4 states and 1 UT: Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Sikkim, and Arunachal Pradesh, and Ladakh along the northern land border of the country which will help in achieving inclusive growth and retaining the population in the border areas.
- This central scheme will promote social entrepreneurship and empowerment of youth and women through skill development and entrepreneurship through
“Hub and Spoke Model”.
- Under the ‘one village-One product’ model, the local cultural, traditional knowledge, and heritage will be promoted through community-based organizations, Cooperatives, SHGs, NGOs, and others.
- Vibrant Village Action Plans will be created by the district administration with the help of Gram Panchayats.
- There will not be overlap with Border Area Development Programme.
- The ‘Vibrant Villages Programme’ will focus on mobile and internet connectivity, all-weather road, drinking water, and round-the-clock electricity using renewable sources (Solar and Wind energy). It will also focus on the development of tourist centres, multi-purpose centres, and health and wellness Centres.