Context: 36th Board Meeting of Stop TB Partnership took place in India.
About Stop TB Partnership
- STOP TB Partnership is a UN hosted organisation that aims for a world free of TB, until then, making diagnosis, treatment and care available to all who need it.
- It was founded in 2001 to eliminate TB by 2030.
- Secretariat: The Secretariat of Stop TB Partnership is hosted and administered by UNOPS in Geneva, Switzerland.
- Union Minister for Health & Family Welfare is the current chairman of the Board of Stop TB Partnership.
- Membership: Membership of Stop TB Partnership is open to national governments, NGOs, and scientific institutions.
Objectives of STOP TB
- Ensure that every person with TB has access to effective diagnosis, treatment & cure.
- Stop transmission of TB.
- Reduce the inequitable social and economic toll of TB.
- Develop, implement and increase access to new preventive, diagnostic and therapeutic TB tools, products & strategies.
- Amplify the voices of people with and affected by TB and secure meaningful change through strategic advocacy & communication.
Initiatives by Stop TB Partnership
- Global Drug Facility: Stop TB Partnership Global Drug Facility (GDF) facilitates global access to quality-assured, affordable TB diagnostics and treatments. GDF serves three objective:
- Shape the market: GDF works with suppliers, donors & other stakeholders to ensure the availability of quality assured and sustainably priced products that respond to market needs.
- Facilitate access to innovative medicines & diagnostics: GDF provides technical assistance to facilitate the introduction and uptake of innovative medicines and diagnostics in client countries.
- Provide best in class procurement & supply services for tuberculosis medicines & diagnostics.
- TB REACH: This initiative aims to identify not diagnosed, not treated or not reported by providing funding to test pioneering approaches that reach more people with TB. TB Reach provides funding for projects that: