Context: In a major relief to Telangana, the Union Ministry of Home Affairs has ruled that the Singareni Collieries Company Limited (SCCL) belongs to Telangana.
- A stalemate prevailed over the division of assets pertaining to the SCCL between the two States.
- The Telangana State government has been firm that the company belonged to it on the basis of location and this has been confirmed by the Attorney General.
- The Andhra Pradesh government has raised objections to the Attorney General’s opinion. It wanted to conclude that SCCL was an interstate company.
The Singareni Collieries Company Limited (SCCL)
- It is a Government coal mining company jointly owned by the Government of Telangana and the Government of India on a 51:49 equity basis.
- The Singareni coal reserves stretch across 350 Km of the Pranahita – Godavari Valley of Telangana with a proven geological reserve aggregating to a whopping 8791 million tonnes.
- SCCL is currently operating 18 opencast and 24 underground mines in 4 districts of Telangana