Context: India crosses a significant milestone for the National Tele Mental Health Programme of India: Over 100,000 calls received on the Tele-MANAS Helpline since its launch in October 2022.
About the National Tele Mental Health Programme of India
- Announced in Budget of 2022-23
- It is aimed at establishing a network of 23 tele-mental health centres of excellence to provide people with better access to quality mental health counselling and care services.
- These centres will function with NIMHANS as the nodal centre for its successful implantation
- The International Institute of Information Technology-Bangalore provides the requisite technological support.
- The Tele-Mental Health Assistance and Nationally Actionable Plan through States (T-MANAS) initiative was announced by the NIMHANS under the NTMHP to provide free round-the-clock tele-mental health services in all parts of the country, particularly to people living in remote or under-served areas.
- The NTMHP also envisions linking tele-mental health services with other health-related schemes and services provided by the government under the Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission (National digitalization of health records and services) and the e-Sanjivani platform (National teleconsultation service).
- The government launched a mobile app called “MANAS Mitra” aimed at promoting mental well-being among people.