Context: Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) is planning to set up a new e-commerce site to showcase ‘energy efficient’ appliances.
Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL)
- Founded in 2009, EESL is promoted by the Ministry of Power, Government of India as a Joint Venture of four reputed public-sector undertakings NTPC Limited, Power Finance Corporation Limited, REC Limited and POWERGRID Corporation of India Limited.
- Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) is a Super Energy Service Company (ESCO), which enables consumers, industries and governments to effectively manage their energy needs through energy-efficient technologies.
Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE)
- The Government of India set up the Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) in 2002 under the provisions of the Energy Conservation Act, 2001.
- BEE co-ordinates with designated consumers, designated agencies and other organizations; recognizes, identifies and utilizes the existing resources and infrastructure, in performing the functions assigned to it under the Energy Conservation Act.
Standards & Labelling
- Standards and Labelling (S&L) scheme is a flagship initiative of Ministry of Power that was launched with the key objective of providing consumers an informed choice regarding the energy savings and thereby the cost-saving potential of various energy consuming appliances.
- This scheme prescribes minimum energy performance levels for appliances/ equipment, rated on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the most energy efficient.
- Presently, S&L scheme covers the star labelling program for 35 appliances, out of which 15 appliances are under mandatory regime and remaining 20 appliances are under voluntary regime.