Context: Himachal Pradesh government has proposed to legalise cannabis (hemp) cultivation in the State.
About Cannabis (Hemp):
- It is a botanical class of Cannabis Sativa grown specifically for industrial and medicinal use.
- It is illegal under Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (NDPS) Act, 1985.
- Uttarakhand became the first state in the country to legalise cannabis cultivation in 2017.
Multiple uses of Cannabis:
- It is known to cause psychotropic symptoms in the users which may be temporary.
- Amotivational syndrome is known to occur with its use, in which user loses interest as well as strength to do any chores.
- There are some positive uses: Phytoremediation, fibre cloth manufacturing, pulp and paper industry.