Context: All the 23 police stations under the Visakhapatnam Police Commissionerate are likely to get e-Malkhana facility, by June.
About e-Malkhana facility
- It is a scientific way of storing property and evidence recovered from the crime scene.
- The facility was first commissioned in July 2021 at Narsipatnam Police Station (presently in Anakapalli district)
- Visakhapatnam will be the first city in Andhra Pradesh to have such a facility.
- The property seized and evidence collected from the crime scene can be stored in standard-sized cardboard boxes, numbered with other details.
- A dynamic QR code will be generated and pasted on the box.
- A dedicated website is also hosted and all details about the case and property will be uploaded.
- All one has to do is scan the code to get the details.