Context: Department of School Education & Literacy organised an online program on 11th October 2023 to commemorate the milestone of one million certifications of its Passport to Earning (P2E) Program.
About UNICEF’s Passport to Earning (P2E) Initiative
- Passport to Earning (P2E) is a digital platform that aims to provide young people between 15-24 years of age with free, certified, world class and job-relevant skills training and position them for employment opportunities.
- This initiative has been launched under Generation Unlimited Partnership program of UNICEF.
- P2E is built on the Microsoft Community Training platform and offers digitised content provided by a range of public and private sector partners.
- Platform will offer online and offline digitalised curricula and supplemental content curated at the national level.
- In its initial three years, P2E initiative aims to skill 10 million young people and help 10,000 young people gain decent employment – targeting at least 50% young women in both cases.
- Young people using the platform will be able to use the certifications gained to support future employment and entrepreneurship opportunities.
- P2E mission aims to maximize impact with young people, focusing on the most disadvantaged by:
- Building government capacity to provide sustainable skilling and employment pathways in digital economy.
- Enabling access to job-relevant skilling platform, state of art curriculum and certifications and ultimately jobs.
Passport to Earning (P2E) Initiative in India
- In India, P2E initiative provides free access to certificate courses in digital productivity, financial literacy, employability skills and other in demand, job ready skills. P2E also offers provisions for online, hybrid and offline learning models.
- P2E aims to deliver long-term sustainable skilling to 5 million youth in the age group of 14-29 in India by 2024 and then connect them to opportunities in job, self-employment, and entrepreneurship to be financially independent.
- Passport to Earning initiative has skilled and certified more than one million young people in India in area of financial literacy and digital productivity.
- 62% of all young learners who benefitted from P2E courses in India are adolescent girls and young women.