Context: Dr. Mansukh Mandaviya unveils 5th State Food Safety Index on World Food Safety Day.
- Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has developed State Food Safety Index to measure the performance of states on various parameters of Food Safety.
- This index is based on performance of State/ UT on five significant parameters, namely, Human Resources and Institutional Data, Compliance, Food Testing – Infrastructure and Surveillance, Training & Capacity Building and Consumer Empowerment.
- Launched in 2018-19, the SFSI aims to foster healthy competition and catalyze positive change in the food safety ecosystem throughout the country, ultimately ensuring the provision of safe and wholesome food to all residents.
- The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) is a statutory body has been established under Food Safety and Standards , 2006 which replaced the Prevention of Food Adulteration Act, 1954.
- Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, is the Administrative Ministry for the implementation of FSSAI. It works as an independent authority and attained a special status.
- It aims to establish a single reference point for all matters relating to food safety and standards, by moving from multi- level, multi- departmental control to a single line of command.
- FSSAI has been created for laying down science based standards for articles of food and to regulate their manufacture, storage, distribution, sale and import to ensure availability of safe and wholesome food for human consumption.