Context: Around 2,000 refugees from Myanmar have crossed into Mizoram, following an intense battle between Chin Defence forces and Myanmar Army close to India-Myanmar border.
Location of Refugees influx in Myanmar
- The influx of Myanmarese refugees took place in the India’s border town of Zokhawthar (located in the Champhai district of Mizoram).
- Zokhawthar is located few kilometers away from the Myanmar town of Rikhawdar, where the fighting is taking place between Chin Defence Forces and Myanmar Army.
- Zokhawthar and Rikhawdar are separated by Tiau River.
- Prior to this influx, Mizoram has already been sheltering about 30,000 Chin refugees from Myanmar, who escaped the civilian strife in Myanmar following the 2021 military coup.
About Tiau River
- Tiau is a 159 km long river which forms the boundary between India and Myanmar. It later merges with the Kaladan river.