Context: Recently, the UGC has released new guidelines for deemed universities.
Eligibility Criteria for an Institution to be Declared as Institution Deemed to Be University
- A multi-disciplinary Institution (minimum five Departments either UG/PG/Integrated/Research or a combination of these) OR a Cluster of Institutions offering five (UG/PG/Integrated/Research or a combination of these) programmes located in the same city/town.
- The Institution(s) shall have valid accreditation by NAAC grade with at least 3.01 CGPA for three consecutive cycles provided that the application for accreditation/re-accreditation was submitted by the Institution within the time frame from the previous cycle.
- In the case of the technical institution(s), two-thirds of eligible technical programmes were accredited by the NBA for three consecutive cycles provided that the Institution submitted the application for accreditation/re-accreditation within the time frame from the previous cycle.
- Should figure among the top 50 (fifty) ranking of NIRF in any specific category for consecutive three years.
- Among the top 100 (hundred) of the overall NIRF ranking for three consecutive years.
- Shall possess such academic and physical infrastructure as may be prescribed by the Commission and/or the relevant statutory body.
- Approval of the relevant statutory body for the professional courses which are currently being run.
- The teacher-student ratio of 1:20 with a minimum combined faculty strength of not less than 100 (one hundred) teachers and a minimum combined student strength of 2000 (two thousand) on rolls under the regular classroom mode, of which not less than one-third being PG/research students OR as per the norms of the relevant statutory body.
- Shall have an administrative area, library, lecture halls, labs, hostels, health care, common facilities and recreational facilities.
Corpus Fund: In the case of Institutions not funded by the Government, a Corpus Fund of Rs. 25 Crore or as decided by the Commission from time to time.
Off-Campus Centre(s): Institutions Deemed to be Universities with minimum ‘A’ grade & above or ranked from 1-100 in the “Universities” category of the current NIRF ranking are eligible to set up new Off-Campus Centre
Institutions declared as Deemed to be Universities under ‘Distinct Category’ can apply for off-campus (es) within 5 years of their declaration. After five years, they have to fulfil the criteria stipulated earlier.
Monitoring: The Commission shall monitor the performance and academic outcomes of Deemed to be Universities having valid accreditation by NAAC with less than an ‘A’ grade or ranked more than 100 in the current NIRF ranking (Universities category) not later than every five years, on the basis of a report submitted annually by the Deemed to be Universities
Governance structure: The highest governing body of the Institution Deemed to be a University shall be the Executive Council to be headed by the Vice Chancellor, consisting of not less than 9 and not more than 15 members.
Tenure of the members of the Executive Council: All the members of the Executive Council, other than the Vice-Chancellor and Pro-Vice-Chancellor, shall hold office for a term of three years. In the case of Deans, the term will be for three years or until they hold the office of Dean, whichever is earlier.