Context: The Ministry for Education and Skill Development & Entrepreneurship has launched the Malaviya Mission for the training of teachers in higher educational institutes.
About Malaviya Mission
- It is a teacher training programme that aims to provide tailored training programmes for teachers. This programme will work for the capacity building of faculty members in higher educational institutions.
- Organised by University Grants Commission, in association with the Ministry of Education.
- Aims to improve the quality of teachers’ training, build leadership skills in teachers and help realise the goals of the National Education Policy (NEP).
- The capacity building under this Mission will be mapped to the credit framework to ensure career progression pathways for educators.
- There are the theme-wise training sessions.
The 8 themes include
- Holistic and Multidisciplinary Education,
- Indian Knowledge Systems (IKS),
- Academic Leadership, Governance and Management,
- Higher Education and Society,
- Research and Development,
- Skill Development,
- Student Diversity and Inclusive Education and
- Information and Communication Technology.
- Human Resource Development Centres to be revamped and known as Madan Mohan Malaviya Teachers Training Centres.
- Monitoring and quality assurance of the Malaviya Mission Teacher Training Programme would be undertaken by the UGC Committee after conducting one round of training programme.
Objectives of the Scheme:
Salient objectives of the scheme in alignment with NEP 2020 are:
- Improving the quality of Education at all levels by infusing quality and excellence in our teachers and teaching.
- To develop innovative teaching method and high-level institutional facilities in all the constituent areas of higher education.
- To impart pedagogy-related training and improve faculties’ soft and practical skills.
- To ensure holistic development of the teachers and learners with inculcation of ethics and human values as enshrined in Indian culture.
- To develop multidisciplinary and critical thinking ability.
- To familiarize the faculty with the Indian Knowledge Systems.
- To build respect for the eco-balance and biodiversity existing in the nature. University Grants Commission 7
- To undertake quality research in line with the local, national, and global needs.
- To make it known that higher education is for social upliftment and inclusiveness.
- To develop the know-how to prepare transformative pedagogy with ICT intervention.
- To build life skills and global citizenship values.
- To ensure the role of faculty as active participants in institution building.
- Improve the quality of teaching and empower Faculty members through training, induction, refresher and short term programs and ensure their continuous professional development.
Significance of Malaviya Mission
- Improve the quality of education at all levels by infusing quality and excellence in teachers and teaching methods.
- Ensure continuous professional development and help in building capacities of 15 lakh teachers of the Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) through 111 Malaviya Mission centres across India in a time-bound manner.
- Theme-wise training sessions will help enthuse “Samagrata” in the participants.