Context: During the recent visit of PM Modi to France a variety of agreements chief among the agreements was the strategic road map for the next 25 years “Horizon 2047” which includes cooperation in defence, space, nuclear energy, climate change and green transitions as well as education and people-to-people ties.
The document Horizon 2047, reflects a vision of the two leaders, of Prime Minister Modi and President Macron, on where the relationship should be in 2047 when India would celebrate 100th year of its independence and we will be celebrating 50 years of our Strategic Partnership. It has 63 specific outcomes that are divided among multiple pillars.
Major pointers of document Horizon 2047
- Partnership for Security and Sovereignty: A comprehensive approach to security and sovereignty cooperation between the two countries.
- India-France Partnership in the Indo-Pacific: Focused on providing solutions for security, strategic, and economic challenges.
- Cooperation in the Fight Against Terrorism: Joint efforts to combat terrorism and ensure global security.
- Renewed and Effective Multilateralism: Shared commitment to promoting multilateral cooperation.
- Science, Technology, and Academic Cooperation: Collaboration between research institutions in scientific, critical technologies, health, cyber, digital regulatory frameworks, and digital technologies.
- People-to-People Ties: Enhancing mobility partnership and skill-set cooperation to foster academic collaboration and meet the needs of skill development.
- Defence Cooperation: Roadmap for further cooperation in the Indo-Pacific, including military and naval exchanges and a trilateral development fund.
- Defence Procurement: Approval for the purchase of 26 Rafale-M fighter jets for the Indian Navy, three additional Scorpene submarines, and an agreement for helicopter engines.
The France-India strategic relationship is built on respect for each other’s strategic autonomy, with France refraining from commenting on India’s internal affairs or foreign policy choices.