Context: The first shipment of Russian uranium was officially delivered to Bangladesh to fuel the nation’s only nuclear power plant, Rooppur.
Rooppur Nuclear Power Plant
- It is being build on the eastern bank of the river Ganges, 160 km from Dhaka.
- It is Bangladesh’s first nuclear power plant.
- The Rooppur project is the first initiative under an Indo-Russian deal to undertake atomic energy projects in third countries.
- International Atomic Energy Agency is supporting the South Asian country in the safe, secure and sustainable introduction of nuclear power.
International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)
- It is the intergovernmental forum for scientific and technical cooperation in the nuclear field.
- It was created in 1957 in response to the deep fears and expectations generated by the discoveries and diverse uses of nuclear technology.
- It works for the safe, secure and peaceful uses of nuclear science and technology, contributing to international peace and security and the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals.
- The IAEA’s Milestones Approach enables a sound development process for a nuclear power programme. It is a phased comprehensive method to assist countries that are considering or planning their first nuclear power plant.
- Headquarters: Vienna, Austria.