Context: India topped the medals table in four sports in the 19th Asian Games in Hangzhou
About Asian Games
- Also known as Asiad, is a continental multi-sport event held every fourth year among athletes from all over Asia.
- Motto is Ever Onward
- Since 1982, it has been regulated by the Olympic Council of Asia (OCA), earlier it was by Asian Games Federation (AGF).
- Recognised by the International Olympic Committee and is the second largest multi-sport event after the Olympics.
- 1st edition: 1951 Asian Games in New Delhi
- 19th edition: 2022 Asian Games in Hangzhou, China
- 20th edition: 2026 Asian Games in Nagoya, Japan
- India is a founder member of Asian Games.
- India is one of the seven countries to have participated in all the editions of the Asian Games.
- Israel has not taken part in the Asian Games since 1974.
- China topped the list with 383,followed by Japan.
- Breakdance popularly known as ‘breaking’, the sport makes its Asian Games debut this year.
India at Asian Games
- India’s campaign at the 19th Asian Games ended with 28 gold, 38 silver and 41 bronze to a total of 107 medals. This is the best-ever performance of the Indian contingent at the continental event.
- India also managed to top the medal table in four different events at this edition of the Asiad- archery, cricket, kabaddi and hockey.
- India made its cricket debut at this edition of the Asian Games.