Following are the ethical issues involves in the Refugees issue:
- Justice – Refugees are being forces to leave their own homeland by real or perceived dangers. The perpetrators are not punished.
- Rights – The natural rights as human beings and constitutional rights as citizens are being violated.
- Mirrors our value as a civilization – The values of inclusivity, tolerance, empathy and compassion, the democratic values of the host nation.
- International empathy – Concerns by other nations, help by International NGO’s and effectiveness of International body like U.N.
- Common good – Peace and prosperity in the South Asian region.
The issue must be dealt with compassion. We can take lessons from the message inscribed on the statue of liberty which reflects the successful assimilation of refugees in USA helping it become a great nation.
“Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”
More efforts can be put in skill development of refugees so that they can contribute to their new home as is being done by the government of Germany.