Purpose of life is self-actualisation and reaching to one’s full potential.
The greatness of human being:
- “As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world – that is the myth of the atomic age – as in being able to remake ourselves”.
- The poet W. H. Auden once wrote on the eve of World War II, “We must love one another or die”. We must choose to love.”
- “There is no hope for the aching world except through the narrow and straight path of non-violence.” – Gandhiji
- No culture can live if it attempted to be exclusive. – Gandhiji
- One’s life has value so long as one attributes value to the life of others – Simone de Beauvoir
- We must live like different cells of an organism, where health of one affects the health of others. – Plato
- Service to man as service to God – Swami Vivekananda
- “Those who have not found the heaven below, will fail of it above” – Emily Dickenson
- “Best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.” Mahatma Gandhi
- Till I loved, I never lived – Emily Dickenson
Interdependence is a basic fact of the world. From ecology to astronomical bodies, family to nations, we live in an interdependent world.
- Importance of interdependence:
- Values: Family, schools, friends, community shape value inculcation in individuals and weave society’s moral fabric.
- Climate Action: Common but differentiated responsibilities are due for effective action against climate change and environmental damage.
- Democracy: System of institutional checks and balances, distribution of powers between judiciary, executive and legislature, or through federalism are necessary to sustain democracy.
- Emotional wellbeing: Understanding the emotional needs of self and others, being understood emotionally is a manifestation of interdependent reflection.
- Scientific developments: Dependence on shoulders of intellectual giants like Newton and Madhava, epistemology through dissertations. 6. Heritage: Intergenerational knowledge such as through tribal knowledge systems, oral traditions, literature, religion etc. are sources of culture
History, culture, ecology and development are all interdependent. Global warming and development deficit are the most instructive example of interdependence in modern world. To meet our individual needs, we need to take care of surrounding society and nature.