It has been said by James Allen, “There can be no progress, no achievement, without sacrifice, and a man’s worldly success will be in the measure that he sacrifices.”
The path of success is full of hurdles. We have to overcome both inner and outer hurdles. For true success we have to:
- Give up our negative emotion of greed, anger, intolerance etc
- Overcome our own biases and prejudices to be objective and tolerant.
- Show courage and fight against injustice.
- Sacrifice lucrative postings and perks to go to remote areas and serve people.
- Risk our own life and security of the nation.
- Cut down leisure and easing-going attitude to improve quality of service delivery.
Sacrifice not only transcends a man’s higher ethical state, reducing negative emotions like greed, anger, hedonism etc and negative attitude but also helps others in realising their rights.
Erik Eriksen has said that, “Life doesn’t make any sense without interdependence. We need each other, and the sooner we learn that, the better for us all.” For progress and achievement, one must ensure that his/her duties towards others have been performed. The relation of interdependence has strengthened.