Ethics is the branch of philosophy that involves a systematic study of human actions from the point of view of their rightfulness or wrongfulness.
What does ethics seek to promote in human life?
- Living a life of dignity and self-respect. This inculcates integrity, the shield against corruption.
- Taking the right decision to avoid inner dissonance, conflict and crisis of conscience.
- Developing the right perception of a good life.
- Helps in the realization that, ‘life without interdependence does not make any sense’, as exclaimed by Erik Ericksen.
- Fraternity, cooperation and social cohesion.
- Acts as source of guidance in human behavior:
- ‘Moral agent’ of Immanuel Kant
- ‘Rational creature of Aristotle’
- Speaking truth to power as exhorted by Socrates.
- ‘Nishkama karma’ of Bhagavat Gita
How do ethical values assist in the resolution of conflicts?
- Value of tolerance, empathy and compassion helps in understanding and accommodating others.
- Emotional intelligence helps in persuasion
- Dedication helps in bringing change using innovation
Decision-making is always a contentious job, but if the decision involves fundamental values, we can minimise conflicts and take a decision that is in the best interest of society.