I2U2 is a non-security mechanism for cooperation on development issues between four countries – I2 – India and Israel, U2 – USA and UAE. Focusing on six key areas of cooperation, i.e. health, water, transportation, food security, space and energy.
- Normalization of Arab-Israel ties meditated by the US under the Abraham Accords.
- Ukraine crisis leading to Food Security challenges, and rising Oil prices.
- Increased Chinese influence in West Asia.
- Russia – China – Iran axis.
- UAE’’s focus on creating a Post–Hydrocarbon Economy.
I2U2 Transforming India’s Position in Geo-Politics
- US and West Asian countries are realising the importance of India to handle regional issues.
- Highlights India’s Multilateral engagement in Minilaterals like QUAD.
- Taps ‘unique array of capabilities, knowledge and experience’ of all four members of the I2U2.
- Strategic focus of I2U2 aligns with India’s goal to counter Chinese penetration into the West Asia.
- Strengthens Bilateral relations of India– Israel, UAE and USA are strategic partners
- India is engaging on areas of convergence without letting geo-political dilemma overshadow such engagement.
- Energy Politics – Leading to Food Security challenges, and rising Oil prices.
- Climate Change – Low carbon Development Infrastructure – Renewable energy projects.
- Geo- Economics –
- Infrastructure for Food Processing in India which will boost Agri-Exports from India.
- Economic Benefits for India – Commodity exports, Boost Farmer income.
- Such expertise can be extended to the Manufacturing sector in future by developing logistics and infrastructure
- Boost India’s start – up ecosystems.
- The technology and infrastructure hubs like Abu Dhabi and Dubai will boost the financing and technology for the start-ups.
From looking west to secure energy interests, the approach has expanded to think West and to act west as visible in the recent institutionalization of I2U2.