According to Article 64 and 89(1), Vice-President is the ex-officio Chairman of Rajya Sabha and as Chairman, Vice-President functions as part of the Parliament.
Role of Vice-President as Chairman of the Rajya Sabha
- Presides over sessions of Rajya Sabha.
- Custodian and guardian of rights and privileges of the House and its members.
- Interprets Constitution, rules of conduct of business and his rulings constitute precedents which are binding.
- Have a casting vote in case there is equality of votes (Article 100).
- Can adjourn the House or suspend its sitting due to absence of quorum.
- Chairman may
- Reject resignation of members
- Reject proposal to impeach Judges of High Court and Supreme Court.
- Determines disqualification under Tenth Schedule.
- Rajya Sabha Secretariat functions under his control and directions.
- Correct patent errors in a Bill passed by RS.
- Communicates Motion of Thanks.
Despite the dual role, the holder of the office of Vice-President has ensured its dignity and grace over successive years.