Context: Geeta Press Gorakhpur has been selected for the Gandhi Peace Prize for the year 2021. A jury headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi unanimously selected Gita Press for the award.
About Gandhi Peace Prize
- Gandhi Peace Prize Award for Social, Economic and Political Transformation through Non-violence
- It was instituted in 1995.
- The Award comprises an amount of Rs. one Crore and a Citation.
- The Award may be divided between two persons/institutions who the Jury considers to be equally deserving of recognition in a given year.
- Work by a person since deceased cannot be the subject of an Award.
- However, if his death occurred after a proposal was submitted to the Jury in the manner stipulated in the Code of Procedure, then a Posthumous Award may be made.
- This annual award will be given to individuals, associations, institutions or organizations who have worked selflessly for peace, non-violence and amelioration of human sufferings particularly of the less-privileged section of society contributing towards social justice and harmony.
- The Award is open to all persons regardless of nationality, race, language, caste, creed or gender.
- Normally, contributions made during the ten years immediately preceding the nomination are considered.
- Older contributions may also be considered if their significance has not become apparent recently.