Revolutionary youth decided to copy the methods of the Irish nationalists and Russian nihilists. They decided to organize the assassination of unpopular British officials.
- First revolutionary group was Calcutta Anushilan Samiti founded by Pramotha Mitter in 1902. He was joined by Jatindranath Banerjee and Barindra Kumar Ghosh among others.
- In 1908, Prafulla Chaki and Khudiram Bose attempted to murder Muzaffarpur Magistrate, Kingsford. In the same year, Barrah Dacoity was organized by Dacca Anushilan under Pulin Das.
- In 1912, Rashbehari Bose and Sachin Sanyal threw a bomb at Viceroy Harding.
- Important revolutionary papers were Sandhya and Yugantar (1906, started by Bhupendra Dutta and Barindra Ghosh).
- In 1890s, Tilak began propagating militant ideas through his journals Kesari and Maharatta. In 1897, his two disciples, Chapekar brothers killed Rand, Plague commissioner of Poona and Lt. Ayerst.
- In 1899, Mitra Mela a secret society was organized by Savarkar and his brother which later merged with Abhinav Bharat in 1904.
- Here revolutionary activity was supported by Lala Lajpat Rai who brought out Punjabee.
- Ajit Singh organized extremist Anjuman-i-Mohisban-i-Watan in Lahore with its journal Bharat Mata.
- In 1905, Shyamji Krishna Varma set up the Home Rule Society and India House and brought out the journal, The Sociologist in London. Savarkar and Lala Hardayal became members of the India House.
- In 1909, Madan Lal Dhingra assassinated Curzon Wyllie.
- Madame Bhikaji Cama operated from Paris and Geneva and brought out the journal, Bande Mataram.