Fig: Territory under Khilji Dynasty
Jalaluddin Khilji (1290-96 AD)
- Overthrew the successors of Balban to establish Khilji dynasty.
- Also known as Shaista Khan.
- Established Diwan-e-wakoof, state expenditure department.
Allaudin Khilji (1296-1316 AD)
- Forbade his nobles to hold social gatherings like festive parties to stop them from conspiring against him. Banned wine and intoxicants.
- Reduced khuts and muqaddams to ordinary cultivators.
- Introduced market control measures by fixing prices of all commodities which were not allowed to be increased even by a dam during famine.
- Created Diwan-i-Riyasat and Shabha-i-Mandi to regulate fixed market prices.
- Established Diwan-i-Mustakhraj for revenue administration.
- He was the first sultan to pay his soldiers in cash. Introduced three categories of soldiers: paidal, ek aspah & do aspah. Introduced dagh or branding system of horses so that the soldiers may not bring horses of inferior quality.
- Allaudin’s Chittor expedition got its mention a century late in the work of Malik Muhammad Jayasi’s ‘Padmaavat.’
- Built Siri Fort and Alai Darwaza.