UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
- In USA, Indian community enjoys distinction of being the highest earning, best educated and fastest growing ethnic groups, and that too in the most powerful country in the world.
- Their high levels of literacy, economic success, knowledge of English and experience with democracy in their home country has eased their transition in the land of their adoption.
- Indian Americans are found in the following high- profile occupations and sectors – medicine, engineering, law, information technology, international finance, management, higher education, mainstream and ethnic journalism, writing, films and music.
- They also work in real estate, retailing and agriculture and as taxi operators, factory workers and newsstand workers. The Indo-American community in the US reflects the diversity of India.
- Several Indian IT graduates have emerged as important entrepreneurs in Silicon Valley.
- India is today one of the few developing countries which has attracted investment not in one, but scores of R & D centers funded and established by reputed MNCs like GE, CISCO, Sun Microsystems, Microsoft, IBM, Hughes Software, Intel, Oracle, Lucent Technologies, Microsoft Sun Microsystems.
- Indian American community has become important for US politics reflected in focus on this community under Howdy Modi & Namaste Trump events.
- Vice president kamala Harris has Indian roots.
- Other prominent leaders include – Nikki Haley and Piyush Bobby Jindal.
- Around 1.8 million Indian origin people are eligible voters.
- Although the Indian electorate is limited is played crucial role in the swing states focused by both the democrats and the republicans.
- Indians constitute around 4.5% of total population of Canada.
- Indo-Canadians have come to be highly regarded in the fields of medicine, academia, management and engineering.
- Average annual income of immigrants from India is nearly 20% higher than the national average, and they are also in general better educated.
- Growing political prominence of Indo-Canadians is reflected in increasing attention devoted to their concerns by Canadian politicians.
- PM Justin Trudeau’s cabinet currently includes four Indians – Anita Anand, Navdeep Bains, Bardish Chagger and Harjit Sajjan.
- Sajjan is a part of the big four ministries and is the Canadian Minister of National Defence. He is a former detective from Vancouver and was a Lieutenant-colonel in the Canadian military.
- In the past, Liberal Party provincial politician from Vancouver, Ujjal Dosanj, had served as the 33rd Premier of British Columbia (BC). During his career in BC politics, Dosanj had held various portfolios including health, multiculturalism and human rights, government services, and sports.