Diplomats are responsible for representing their country’s interests in foreign countries. If you are interested in a career in diplomacy, here is a guide on how to become a diplomat in India:
Here are the steps on how to become a diplomat in India:
- Complete your graduation. The minimum educational qualification required to become an IFS officer is a bachelor’s degree from a recognized university. Any discipline is fine.
- Apply for the UPSC Civil Services Examination. The UPSC Civil Services Examination is a national-level exam that is conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC). The exam is divided into three stages: the preliminary exam, the mains exam, and the interview.
- Clear the UPSC Civil Services Examination. Only those candidates who clear the UPSC Civil Services Examination are eligible to become IFS officers.
- Choose the Indian Foreign Service (IFS) as your preferred service. The UPSC Civil Services Examination offers a choice of 24 different services, and the IFS is one of them.
- Undergo training at the Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration (LBSNAA). After clearing the UPSC Civil Services Examination, you will be sent to the LBSNAA for training. The training at LBSNAA is for a period of 18 months.
- Get posted to a foreign mission. After completing your training at LBSNAA, you will be posted to a foreign mission. Your first posting will be as a Third Secretary.
- Progress through the ranks. As you gain experience, you will progress through the ranks of the IFS. The highest rank in the IFS is Ambassador.
Here are some additional tips for becoming a diplomat:
- Score well in the UPSC Civil Services Examination. The higher your score, the better your chances of getting selected as an IFS officer.
- Gain relevant work experience. The more experience you have in the government sector, the more likely you are to be selected for the IFS.
- Network with senior officers. Networking with senior officers can help you get your foot in the door and learn more about the requirements for becoming a diplomat.
- Stay up-to-date on current affairs. Diplomats need to be familiar with the latest trends in international relations, so it is important to stay up-to-date on current affairs.
Becoming a diplomat is a challenging but rewarding career path. If you are interested in a career in international relations and have the ambition and drive to succeed, then becoming a diplomat is a goal that you can achieve.
I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.